ISSN 1300-4948 | E-ISSN 2148-5607
Pancreatobiliary - Original Article
Role of percutaneous catheter drainage as primary treatment of necrotizing pancreatitis
1 Department of Gastroenterology, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, India  
2 Department of Surgery, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, India  
3 Department of Radiodiagnosis, Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, India  
Turk J Gastroenterol ; : -
DOI: 10.5152/tjg.2018.17542
Key Words: Percutaneous catheter drainage, necrotizing pancreatitis, peripancreatic collections, primary treatment
Abstract

 

Background/Aims: Necrotizing pancreatitis has morbidity and mortality rates exceeding most of the other acute medical emergencies despite the best possible medical and surgical care. Early surgical intervention has a high operative risk.

 

Materials and Methods: This prospective open-label study was designed to evaluate the role of percutaneous catheter drainage (PCD) of pancreatic necrosis as primary treatment of acute necrotizing pancreatitis. An ultrasound/computed tomography-guided drainage was performed with 10 or 12 Fr catheters using a 0.35 mm guide wire, irrespective of whether necrosis was infected or not. Patients were followed up for organ dysfunction, need for surgical intervention, and survival at week 8.

 

Results: A total of 20 (65% males) patients who had acute necrotizing pancreatitis with varied etiology were enrolled in the present study. Of these patients, 9 (45%) did not need surgery after PCD. The remaining 11 (55%) patients showed significant reversal of organ failure after PCD insertion (p<0.05 for improvement in serum creatinine, need for mechanical ventilation, and decline in C-reactive protein). Survival at week 8 was 95%. PCD was well tolerated with only two catheter-related complications being observed.

 

Conclusion: Percutaneous catheter drainage can be a primary treatment option for necrotizing pancreatitis. In addition, it helps to stabilize critically ill patients and delay the surgical procedure to beyond 4 weeks to improve the surgical outcomes.

 

Cite this article as: Mehta V, Kumar R, Parkash S, et al. Role of percutaneous catheter drainage as primary treatment of necrotizing pancreatitis. Turk J Gastroenterol DOI: 10.5152/tjg.2018.17542.

Key Words
Authors
All
Reviewer's Corner
Author’s Corner
Survey
AVES | Copyright © 2018 Turkish Society of Gastroenterology | Latest Update: 22.10.2018